selection770
Our coat of arms was designed by Christian Gallon, a member of a long-established village family, in 1984

The upper left segment is easy to explain because the wavy blue line represents the stream from which the village name is derived. The name appeared in various forms with
Grandis Rious (11th century),
Grandirivo (13th century) and
Grandrife on a postcard of 1909,
with Grand Ruisseau in the meantime.
The explanation of the wheel is more complicated. In the Middle Ages, this region was dominated by two families. One was the Lords of the Wheel( de la Roue). This seems to be a simple explanation for the wheel. But no, because the blazon is in fact that of the family of Du Patural who played an important role in the town's life from the 14th to the 19th centuries.

According to tradition, the family of Patural comes from an illegitimate union between a Lord of the Wheel and a shepherdess of the village of Eyvant. (Maybe Patural = Pasture.) The Roue family already had a coat of arms, so perhaps the bastard chose to clearly show his ancestry by taking the wheel as his coat of arms
.
At the top right is a dog carrying bread. This refers to the story of St.Roch, one of the two patron saints of our church

St Roch was born in 1295 in Montpellier where his father was governor. He was born with a birth mark in the shape of a red cross. Sadly. at the age of twenty, he was left an an orphan. The family's wealth he bequeathed to the poor and his inherited governorship to his uncle. He set off on a pilgrimage to Rome.

But the bubonic plague was raging all over Europe, and St Roch had only reached Acquapendente when he began to help the sick. He had great success there in curing and he had the same success in Cesana, Mantua, Modena and Palma and the other cities around Rome.In Piacenza he was himself contaminated by bubonic plague. The villagers sent him back from the village and he found refuge in the forest and he would have died if a dog had not brought him bread every day.

The statue that you will find in our church is the traditional pose in which the dog offers the bread and St. Roch exposes the marks of bubonic plague
. Finally, St Roch returned to Montpellier, but still dressed as a pilgrim. Immediately he was arrested by his own uncle's officers, who thought he was a spy. He languished in prison until his death on August 13, 1372, without revealing his name.

When he died, his birth mark revealed his identity. Soon he was canonized and a large church was erected in his honour.


selection811